Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Cooking! What Are You Cooking In 2024

Bar in the Sky
(@bar-in-the-sky)
Eminent Member
IMG 1096

It’s a bit early, but never the less. This is a solid cranberry sauce recipe. I made this once and now it is a family expected dish for Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. There is hardly left overs and if there is everyone takes some home- it’s great eating like jam! 

1 Reply
Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
(@elsa)

Prominent Member

@bar-in-the-sky this sounds delish!

Plutolover
(@plutolover)
Estimable Member

I made Borani Bademjan yesterday, a Persian eggplant, tomato and garlic dish. It was so yummy I'm kinda sad there was none left for today! Would definitely recommend!

3 Replies
Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
(@elsa)

Prominent Member

@plutolover that sounds really good!

Plutolover
(@plutolover)

Estimable Member

@elsa it's even better with some good bread 😍

Allie
(@allie120)

Honorable Member

@plutolover That sounds really interesting and delicious!

That just reminded me! I have an eggplant in my garden and I don’t think it’s going to get any bigger (it’s small). I had one earlier in the season but some stinkin critter stole it 😠. I have to get my eggplant now!

Allie
(@allie120)
Honorable Member
IMG 2247

Here is some pumpkin yeast bread I made and just took out of the oven.

16 Replies
Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
(@elsa)

Prominent Member

@allie120 looks terrific!

Allie
(@allie120)

Honorable Member

@elsa Thank you!

I had some this morning. It does taste pumpkiny to me but that’s ok. But it’s so fluffy. It called for milk and an egg. Definitely a wonderful recipe that could also take way more spices, maybe nuts or something.

soup
 soup
(@soup)

Honorable Member

@allie120 My imagination.... still hot, at least warm, drip with butter and honey. Yeah, that right there is my weakness. OMG...

Allie
(@allie120)

Honorable Member

@soup It actually doesn’t taste very pumpkin. But it’s really fluffy. Next time I can really flavor it up with more things.

Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
(@elsa)

Prominent Member

@allie120  there is health benefits, though.

Allie
(@allie120)

Honorable Member

@elsa 100% 

That is another reason I love making my own bread. Plus it’s fun, creative; to me it’s an important task to say, we’re almost out of bread and I need to plan to make more; and you know everything that goes into it.

Allie
(@allie120)

Honorable Member

It’s funny, too because I don’t even eat bread every day. But my husband does so that’s what I can do.

Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
(@elsa)

Prominent Member

@allie120 I think that too, but for the benefits are much greater.  Bread is something you run out of it. I never run out of bread now - this have saved me countless "trips to town".  The quality is sooo much better and for me is WAY cheaper and easier, too.

It's made "three meals a day" so much easier to provide. The bread itself is so good, as fine as you can get anywhere. It elevates everything you serve it with.

I've had a $25 bread machine under my counter for years.  It was your bread pics that finally made me pull it out. Now I use it constantly!  Thank you.

Allie
(@allie120)

Honorable Member

@elsa I love that you’re doing it, too! What a great feeling!

soup
 soup
(@soup)

Honorable Member

@allie120 I have never made bread in a loaf pan but I have in a bread making machine and it was so good. Life changed and I was never home or when I was, I was doing something else, so I stopped making it. We really loved it when I did though. My mom used to make it. She would put it together, cover it and let it rise. The whole house would smell good for the day. Makes me want to make some. The problem is this is a weakness for he and I and we would sit with butter and a loaf and eat it like a meal 🤣 .... I would rather have hot bread than sweets... like candy or ice cream. Give me a hot loaf of bread anytime. Except when we go out to dinner, and I fill up on it then can't eat my meal 🤣

Allie
(@allie120)

Honorable Member

@soup The smell in the house as it’s baking 🤤. So good. And as if you can smell the warmth as well as the bread. It’s a whole mood 😌

A few years ago I was listening to Alan Roberts talking about food, something about how people who bring food into the house, maybe food that would be best to cut out or down, is too accessible to them. You’re not so tempted if you don’t have it around. And he mentioned bread, store bread and such. He suggested, maybe go make a loaf because that takes time and effort. You eat it and then it’s gone or you don’t eat it all because it’s takes time. 

Thst was interesting to me. I mix all the ingredients with a wooden spoon and it’s a grind and messy. Then knead it and sometimes my hands are all sticky with goo until it works itself out. And knead for 10 minutes. And two rises. And bake and let it cool.

And my husband will never eat the heels 😠 😅 Don’t waste anything!!! I worked for all of that 😂. We are not wasting it so it’s bread crumbs or croutons. 

I don’t know why but I always tjink about that Alan Roberts thing.

soup
 soup
(@soup)

Honorable Member

@allie120 I miss my mother. She cooked like you. You don't realize the comforts they offered until they are gone and read something like this and can actually visualize, smell the smells... the way the house was warm and there was always home-grown food. Even though they didn't have a lot of money, they offered comforts that a lot of my friends didn't understand. Like fresh baked bread.

Allie
(@allie120)

Honorable Member

@soup Those are precious memories. This reminds me even more to try to pass this on to my granddaughters. Thank you for this wonderful reminder.

soup
 soup
(@soup)

Honorable Member

@allie120 ❤️

Hades Moon
(@hades-moon)

Estimable Member

@allie120 My gawd that looks delicious 😋

Allie
(@allie120)

Honorable Member

@hades-moon Thank you! New one in the bread making rotation!

Allie
(@allie120)
Honorable Member

Here is the recipe I used for the bread if anyone is interested. I use my own pumpkins and they are lighter color after they’re cooked so if you have to/want to use a different variety or canned pumpkin (or even squash would work, I guess), your bread might come out a really beautiful color! 

https://hostessatheart.com/pumpkin-yeast-bread-breadbakers/

Bar in the Sky
(@bar-in-the-sky)
Eminent Member

Husband’s coworker gave us a dozen of fresh eggs- Homemade pasta is what’s happening this weekend! 
I’ve got olive oil sourdough bread proofing. 
I’m thinking definitely Carbonara. 
Sauce is 4 eggs, 2 whole, 2 yolks with pecorino Romano cheese some black pepper add in a bit of pasta water to the mix to get it nice and creamy and warm enough to not cook the eggs when you add it to the crispy pancetta and spaghetti in the pan. ( I’m already hungry just writing this)

Sage in the garden looks amazing so I will probably pick up some prosciutto also and make chicken saltimbocca with crispy potatoes! 
https://orsararecipes.net/chicken-saltimbocca-recipe

https://www.thekitchn.com/david-taniss-thanksgivukkah-menu-and-a-recipe-for-crispy-potato-galettes-197276

1 Reply
Allie
(@allie120)

Honorable Member

@bar-in-the-sky Those potatoes are beautiful!

Allie
(@allie120)
Honorable Member

Pear butter tarts. It was pear butter from my freezer. And I found a plain glass vase that I could use to cut out the circles of dough. Much easier than trying to free form little rectangles haha

IMG 2270
6 Replies
Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
(@elsa)

Prominent Member

@allie120 Those look great. And I know you make your own pastry, but in case you feel it's a pain, Latin stores have "discos" to make empanadas.  They are very cheap, can be frozen and cook perfectly.  The pastry is plain, so they can be used for sweet or savory.  There are all kinds of brands. It you go to a Mexican store and can't speak, Spanish, "Discos" is enough. They'll know what you mean.  They are generally in the freezer, just like phyllo dough/

https://www.safeway.com/shop/product-details.143150041.html

Empanadas are generally fried.

Allie
(@allie120)

Honorable Member

@elsa Thank you for the tip! 😃

jana
 jana
(@jana)

Estimable Member

@allie120 

Yum!