Cooking! What Are You Cooking In 2024

Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
Topic starter
(@elsa)
Prominent Member

Baked peanut butter choc chip cookies.

Reuben again tonight with pastrami from the NY deli gift.

1 Reply
Allie
(@allie120)

Honorable Member

@elsa What a great late summer dinner. It really feels like early fall here. Of course it’s only days away.

Allie
(@allie120)
Honorable Member
IMG 2276

omg

This is incredible. Bone marrow medallions and roasted eggplant.

This is divine. My husband is traveling so I get to make “scary things” 😅🤣. This is delicious.

2 Replies
elisa
(@elisa)

Estimable Member

@allie120 

haha omg that does look scary 😮 😜 

Allie
(@allie120)

Honorable Member

@elisa 😂

Allie
(@allie120)
Honorable Member

The yogurt came out like yogurt! Yay!

I made it in the crockpot again and I monitored the temperature (per another source I read). That and I used another kind of yogurt as starter, as well as a few grains from the previous attempt (that batch was milky yogurt with some grains or yogurt or whatever it is called as the bottom).

I only made half, having used the other half of the milk for cheese). It still made a lot!

Yay!

6 Replies
Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
(@elsa)

Prominent Member

@allie120 congrats!

Allie
(@allie120)

Honorable Member

@elsa Thank you! 😊

CocoPeaches
(@cocopeaches)

Estimable Member

@allie120 Yay! And way to go with the cheese making! Have you heard of the cheese nun, Mother Noella Marcellino? There is an amazing farm in Bethlehem, CT run by Benedectine Nuns, where they make special cheese. It's an incredible story and an inspiring place to visit. I went there with my mom last year.

I also just love that you made bone marrow for yourself while husband was away. *Drool*

What do you mean by grains in the yogurt though? My only thought is that could be casein protein that separated from the milk if it got too hot. Anyway, glad you had success!

Allie
(@allie120)

Honorable Member

@cocopeaches Thank you! I don’t think I have heard of the cheese nun but I think that sounds like part of a fun day trip!

The grains…I don’t know what they’re called. Maybe they were lumps of yogurt but they were denser. They were little pieces of denser material at the bottom of my first yogurt attempt. That attempt resulted in yogurt-tasting milk. Do you know what they are? I drank it anyway but saved some of these pieces.

CocoPeaches
(@cocopeaches)

Estimable Member

@allie120 I'd guess the graininess is most likely casein protein. It separates out when the milk curdles (which you probably observed when you made cheese) and it has a denser consistency. No harm in eating it.

Allie
(@allie120)

Honorable Member

@cocopeaches Thank you! I appreciate your knowledge! I did consume it as I drank glassfuls of the yogurt milk but I thought maybe I would add the last bit to this batch with the yogurt because…I dunno 😄, I didn’t think it would hurt either.

Allie
(@allie120)
Honorable Member
IMG 2302

Successful yogurt, not really entirely smooth but still very soft and less tart than Fage. I used Fage as part if the starter.

2 Replies
soup
 soup
(@soup)

Honorable Member

@allie120 😊 😋 look at that!!! That's what I'm talking about!

Allie
(@allie120)

Honorable Member

@soup Yes! I’m very excited! I want to see what my husband thinks of it. Yogurt is one of those things he will be picky about. I don’t mind but I would hope he might like it.

Page 13 / 13
Scroll to Top