Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Cooking! What Are You Cooking In 2024

Allie
(@allie120)
Honorable Member

I’m not a big sausage patty-eater. I can’t think of the last time I had one. But I was thinking about meals and how I could expand my repertoire. I follow a woman on another social media who posts her meals, suggestions, and she’s a coach, including food challenges for people with ED. I met her at a meet. Sometimes her breakfasts would show some sausage with her other food. So I thought, well, I could find one that might be good. But I kept forgetting to look at the store.

Then I thought…😑 how hard could it be? I bought some ground chicken and found a recipe (add just a little maple syrup and we have a lot of that, local!). And I just made them and they are soooooo good! I made them a little small but I think one would fit in my husband’s egg sandwich I make for him on work mornings, if he wants. Very small but still.

It made quite a few which is perfect because I love to make ahead and reheat whenever I want.

So everything is making me think about food quality and although maybe we can’t control every single thing at once, I think the more you do, the more you learn, the better. This post touches this thread, the nutrition thread, and the post Elsa made about the “Whip” fake butter at the restaurant (which is only one thing).

Allie
(@allie120)
Honorable Member

I make mysost from the leftover whey from the cheese I made. I had less than a quart of whey so next time I will see if I can store up enough whey to make more. 

This is a brown cheese and it’s similar to gjetost, cheese make from whet from goat milk. I had that a long time ago and it was so different from any cheese I’d had til that point (it was a long time ago). So apparently mysost is using whey from cow milk. It’s so good. I had a little taste and it’s kind of like salty, caramely cheese. Some said you could add cinnamon but I forgot.

Anyway, it didn’t take long, just a lot of stirring, and now it’s in the fridge and I will see if it gets firm or is spreadable. 

I appreciate any tips or corrections if anyone has tried this! It’s probably 1/2 a cup? Not a lot but that’s ok!

IMG 2351

3 Replies
Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
(@elsa)

Noble Member

@allie120 never heard of it. Had to google.

Making pesto tonight, per my husband's request.

Allie
(@allie120)

Honorable Member

@elsa I found it because I wanted to know what to do with the whey and found the gjetost but I didn’t have goat milk, so 🪄 there it was!

Pesto is so good! I haven’t made that for ages.

Allie
(@allie120)

Honorable Member

I will definitely use parchment paper, as was suggested in one of the recipes but I forgot and things were proceeding pretty fast at the end 😵‍💫

soup
 soup
(@soup)
Honorable Member
20240922 203353

I did this today 🥰 baked bread 🍞

I have ingredients to make several kinds. This is scratch pumpkin 🎃 and it's so good. Look what you folks have done to me 🤣🤣

16 Replies
Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
(@elsa)

Noble Member

@soup delish!

soup
 soup
(@soup)

Honorable Member

@elsa My husband said to tell you THANK YOU!!!! 😊

Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
(@elsa)

Noble Member

@soup I swear it's meditative.  I mix all of mine in a machine. Let it rise in the machine and then bake in the oven.

I have foolproof recipes for foccacia,  crusty,  but soft buns or rolls of whatever shape you choose & honey wheat bread.

If any of that sounds good. I'm thinking it might save you some trial and error.

soup
 soup
(@soup)

Honorable Member

@elsa I told him something changed in me today. Baking that bread. It brought the me part of me back.... I had no idea it would affect me like that.

nona
(@nona)

Trusted Member

@soup Love Kiss Blessed Be thats awesome.

soup
 soup
(@soup)

Honorable Member

@nona ❤️

Allie
(@allie120)

Honorable Member

@soup I love this ❤️

Allie
(@allie120)

Honorable Member

@soup Beautiful!

soup
 soup
(@soup)

Honorable Member

@allie120 I cannot believe you ladies have me baking bread.... you know I was in the kitchen cussing and laughing at the same time... but I did it. 🤣

Allie
(@allie120)

Honorable Member
soup
 soup
(@soup)

Honorable Member

@allie120 🤣🤣🤣

Allie
(@allie120)

Honorable Member

@soup But seriously, it’s so wholesome, it’s a feeling of self sufficiency, and it’s caring, whether you’re doing it for someone else, for you and others, or just yourself.

It’s one of the simplest acts but it’s the fortification behind all feats, giant and small. 

Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
(@elsa)

Noble Member

@allie120 when my son's gf started baking bread, I was astounded. She's into sourdough.

When he visited, I made sandwiches with focaccia bread... muffulettas on a gridler.  He worked at panera bread, in college. He was shocked!

He went home and I bought him a griddler for Christmas - he does like to cook. Now she makes him bread - these two give me hope!

Allie
(@allie120)

Honorable Member

@elsa Wonderful!

soup
 soup
(@soup)

Honorable Member

@allie120 I miss cooking for my family. I used to cook Thanksgiving by myself for everyone. I loved everything about it. I loved the shopping, the prep the day of baking and landing the plane. Loved feeding them. (Taurus moon) I opened the door to anyone who wanted to come, and I always had a house full. I don't think I could stand up to that work by myself today, but if I were home, I'd give it a try. 

There's just the two of us now so I have to be mindful of portions when I cook. I had two boys that played football, and they were big eaters. 

I had a bread maker before we moved, and he got rid of it when we were downsizing because I hadn't use it in years. 

He was picking at that bread all day 😊 

Allie
(@allie120)

Honorable Member

@soup I can understand that 😞

My mother loves to cook and especially bake. She would make my brother’s breakfast long after he graduated, came home from college and was working full time but living at home. I used to think, ugh, he can make his own damned breakfast. And he can, and he loves to cook now. But I came to understand it’s out of love, a sense of duty (a good thing), and she also loves it.

And now it’s just her and she still makes her own food and bakes but for herself. I’m really happy she can still do that (although all the cakes and stuff…well, 🤷🏻‍♀️). But also, a little sad that it’s not for the whole family anymore.

Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
Topic starter
(@elsa)
Noble Member

Leftover spicy chicken tendies,,, sandwich, I think, with a homemade bun and my lettuce, grown indoors!

1 Reply
Allie
(@allie120)

Honorable Member

@elsa Yum!

Allie
(@allie120)
Honorable Member

I made oricchette pasta with broccolini and some hot venison sausage. And I grated some homemade cheese on it!

2 Replies
Hades Moon
(@hades-moon)

Reputable Member

@allie120 Yum!. Homemade cheese 🧀!.. wow, that’s impressive.

Allie
(@allie120)

Honorable Member

@hades-moon Thank you! I never thought I could and it’s just the really easiest kind possible but it’s so good! Elsa told me how!

Hades Moon
(@hades-moon)
Reputable Member

I made a macaroni casserole. I’ll serve it with King Island grated cheese on top. I have to skip yummy garlic sourdough to keep within my calorie range 🥲.

Page 14 / 20
Scroll to Top