Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Cooking! What Are You Cooking In 2024

Allie
(@allie120)
Honorable Member

It’s really delicious with my cheese on it, as shown. What is happening to me 😅

IMG 2460

I’m hogging this whole place 😅. I don’t know why but I needed to make crackers so I did. I made some with chia seeds and flax seeds and another portion added dates and dried cranberries. They’re really good and I love the texture. Almost like a cross between hard biscuit and soft cracker but I didn’t want them to burn. I am just cracking the sections but next time I will probably at least try to slice them before I bake. I hope they last and don’t get soft. Anyone else do this? Do rhey have to be eaten right away or will they last a week …?

Allie
(@allie120)
Honorable Member

Everyone has probably made crackers before and I’m over here acting like I invented the wheel 😂😂😂😂😂😂🤣

9 Replies
Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
(@elsa)

Noble Member

@allie120 I have never made crackers but want to try.  Recipe, please?

Allie
(@allie120)

Honorable Member

@elsa Yes, I will get it!

Allie
(@allie120)

Honorable Member
Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
(@elsa)

Noble Member

@allie120 thank you! I have been thinking of doing this. I appreciate the impetus!

Allie
(@allie120)

Honorable Member

@elsa YW! I got hellbent on making something for the cheese. 

I rolled out the dough and afternit was baked and cooled I broke it into pieces big enough for cheese. But next time I will precut the dough and also poke holes in with a fork. There also seems to be a learning curve to making the dough uniformly thin enough. It’s ok when it’s a tad thicker (as was a couple spots on my dough) but then it has a much softer consistency. I was able to pop it back in the oven for a minute or two. Also I found the edges got browner and I threw them to the birds. 

All of this could have been a “me” problem and maybe you’re better at rolling out dough than I am 😅. I’ll get better, as I have. It’s so much fun to try something, then think about what you learned, if you need to tweak something, etc! 

(@warped)

Reputable Member

@allie120 

Wow, even I might make these!  Something both tasty and relatively healthy to munch on.  Of course I'll gobble them all up in 24 hours!

Allie
(@allie120)

Honorable Member

@warped It’s fun! My husband liked them, too. He likes most everything I make. He does like his Ritz crackers for his soup, that’s a fact 😂. But he will eat these with cheese, fruit, charcuterie stuff.

I’m having my neighbor over in a bit and I’m so pleased to have her try them with my cheese. 

jana
 jana
(@jana)

Estimable Member

@allie120 

cool! I have never made them either.

Allie
(@allie120)

Honorable Member

@jana They’re delicious and even good by themselves. My neighbor asked if they could be made with almond flour (I assume she wants low/no carb). I found some recipes so I will try that.

Myrna
(@myrna)
Trusted Member

I have several low carb crackers I’ve made for years. Ther is no life without crackers.  My tip would be to use parchment paper, a piece on the bottom and one on top. I use a rolling pin to roll out. You can use the bottom parchment to fold in the uneven too thin edges and hit it with the rolling pin one more time.   Pizza cutter works great to cut the crackers to size.  Put parchment paper on your cooking surface or on the rack.  For the crackers I make I cook for the allotted time, then a lot of hedges are done and I put them aside ( in my mouth.  I then break alert the others so the heat can get to them and crisp them up in a 250 oven.  Check ever 15 minutes and write down your ‘drying out’ time.  Enjoy!

6 Replies
Allie
(@allie120)

Honorable Member

@myrna Oh! There you go! I was just commenting on low/no carb crackers. I am going to try almond flour for my neighbor. What do you like?

I used parchment paper and it works really well. 

Myrna
(@myrna)

Trusted Member

@allie120 My favorite basic recipe is 

1 c ground flax seed meal, 1/2c grated Parmesan cheese, 2eggs.  Can be seasoned any way you like. My current favorite is 2Tbs of everything but the bagel.  Bake low and slow, I do 325* convect for 20 minutes, cool, then break them up (remove any crisp ones) and dry them the rest of the way in a 250* or so oven. In my toaster oven  about 30 min, YMMV. The drying them out, at least for me, was the learning curve. Let me know how it goes....oh, and roll out thickness like pie crust

Allie
(@allie120)

Honorable Member

@myrna Thank you!

I only have a regular oven, so do you suggest I just monitor them?

Allie
(@allie120)

Honorable Member

Actually 325° sounds similar to the flour recipe I used..so I guess it’s ok.

Myrna
(@myrna)

Trusted Member

@allie120 yes, regular oven is fine. I'd use 350* for this recipe.  By cooling them in between baking and/or drying out you can tell how crisp they are getting. As they cool moisture evaporates.  It took me a few batches to figure out what worked best for my setup. I always have some on hand.They don't taste good burnt so that is to be avoided.

Allie
(@allie120)

Honorable Member

@myrna Thank you so much!

CocoPeaches
(@cocopeaches)
Estimable Member

I'm going to make some of that farmer cheese, and use it for lasagna - now that tomato sauce has been replenished!

3 Replies
Allie
(@allie120)

Honorable Member

@cocopeaches Yes!!! Let us know how it turns out! I know it will be delicious.

CocoPeaches
(@cocopeaches)

Estimable Member

@allie120 Lasagna is a bit much for me, but my husband loves it. I enjoy using farmer cheese in place of ricotta - the flavor from the raw milk really shines through!

Allie
(@allie120)

Honorable Member

@cocopeaches I love that! Thanks!

Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
Topic starter
(@elsa)
Noble Member

Hillbilly chicken!

1 Reply
Allie
(@allie120)

Honorable Member

@elsa What is that?

Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
Topic starter
(@elsa)
Noble Member

Simple recipe from hillbilly kitchen that everyone loves and I mean,  everyone.

Chicken breasts in a glass pan.. 4 of them or whatever. Boneless. 

Pour some lemon juice on them, honey,  salt, pepper and onion powder.  Cover and bake 1.5 hours @ 350

Take from oven, shred, adjust flavor, if needed. Put back in oven, uncovered for 20-30 minutes. It will crisp it up... to whatever level you like.

I usually serve it with Thanksgiving stuff. Stuffing and cranberry, mashed potatoes.  Hits the spot. Leftover chicken is versatile. 

1 Reply
Allie
(@allie120)

Honorable Member

@elsa Sounds amazing! Will save this. Thanks!

Page 17 / 20
Scroll to Top