Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Cooking! What Are You Cooking In 2024

Allie
(@allie120)
Honorable Member

I’m going to make yogurt today. And mysost cheese.

My neighbor wants to come over so I can show her how to make the cheese and crackers. We want to have a baking, making session because she wants to make and give them as Christmas gifts. So, obviously in December. She also was wondering about some pumpkin flavored farmer cheese, as her daughter-in-law has a big Halloween party every year. We brainstormed pumpkin, pumpkin pie spices, maple syrup somewhere in the mix, maybe drizzled on, or maple sugar crystals. I have those from the sugar house … thinking thinking…

3 Replies
Allie
(@allie120)

Honorable Member

I’m thinking instead of pumpkin, probably butternut squash because it has a bigger flavor…

Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
(@elsa)

Noble Member

@allie120 sounds fun!

Allie
(@allie120)

Honorable Member

@elsa It does! Mini communal activity!

Allie
(@allie120)
Honorable Member

I made yogurt today and it went faster (the temperature) than last time so hopefully I did it right. I cross reference a few instructions so…It’s never a failure, just not what was envisioned.

Then I made mysost from the left over cheese whey, 1 1/2 quarts this time. I took pictures of the progress. It took a little over an hour and now the final product is in the refrigerator, setting. What’s in the pictures is the water is being evaporated out. I added a little cinnamon after adding the cream, fourth picture. The final color is not from the cinnamon but from the caramelization.

IMG 2512
IMG 2513
IMG 2514
IMG 2515
IMG 2516

I tasted some from the pan after I put it in the container and it is incredible.

Allie
(@allie120)
Honorable Member

My yogurt didn’t yogurt but the upside is that it has the consistency of kefir. It’s not, of course, and tastes like yogurt. I put it in the blender with berries and unflavored protein powder and will just drink it over these next few days.

It was definitely very fast to the temperature when I made it, faster than the other times, so there’s that. Everyone is probably saying, “GET A YOGURT MAKER ALREADY” 🤣 I’m not in a rush. Maybe one day. But no matter, it’s never been bad and I can always consume it, although maybe not as planned.

I also made butter with the cream. And I have leftover buttermilk, which I really don’t like, except in baking. That will be easy. I’ll just make a pumpkin thing with it and that will be good.

The mysost came out delicious and is a bit soft, maybe like a firm brie consistency. That’s apparently ok. I think last time I cooked it a few minutes longer until it was almost stiff in the pan. It’s a very interesting thing to make, very basic, with timing and getting a feel of it while cooking it. Spinning fiber is a little like that. 

4 Replies
Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
(@elsa)

Noble Member

@allie120 I feel lazy watching you, today. I'm a slacker!

Allie
(@allie120)

Honorable Member

@elsa Oh LOL I’m actually a little surprised at my ambition with this lately but I’ll just go with it. And I haven’t done much else with it today. Took a nap and should bake to use the buttermilk. Imagine doing this for a family? Now that would be impressive! And really wholesome.

Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
(@elsa)

Noble Member

@allie120 true. I would and could do it, but wear too many hats. Smile

Allie
(@allie120)

Honorable Member

@elsa I can see that! Your intentions are good and you’d do what you can.

Rusalka
(@rusalka)
Estimable Member

I adore sautéed greens. My mom used to make them several ways, including Southern style with collard greens and bacon. I daydreamed of having all the leaves I wanted, whenever I wanted when I grew up. So now I eat them almost every day.

Last night, I sauteed some arugula to try to save it, because it was starting to get wilty and some leaves were a lil slimy. I tried a bite and the taste and texture were too off, so I chose not to risk it and conceded defeat. It went in the compost so nothing was stolen from the Earth.

Then I did some spinach the same way, with salt, pepper, garlic, and a few drops of soy sauce, and it was looking so good, and I got aaaall the way to plating it, and then I saw a GRASSHOPPER in it. At that point I realized God just didn't want me to have my veggies. I gave up and fried some eggs. 

1 Reply
Allie
(@allie120)

Honorable Member

@rusalka 😫

A grasshopper! Oh dear!

I think I would have given up at that point, too, mostly because I would have been so sad about mistakenly cooking it ☹️. 

CocoPeaches
(@cocopeaches)
Estimable Member

Garden spinach and beet salad... with green apple, quinoa, and sunflower seeds... Making a tahini dressing... with home made apple cider vinegar and maple syrup, and home grown garlic and ginger! Taking this to my women's group tonight. heart  

1 Reply
Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
(@elsa)

Noble Member

@cocopeaches they will love this. I would have to make an effort not to gobble it, impolitely!

CocoPeaches
(@cocopeaches)
Estimable Member

It's fun cooking for someone other than my husband once in a while. He doesn't love beets (but hates when I make him out to be a picky eater). The tahini dressing is so good, it can be diluted with water. I could drink it!

Page 18 / 20
Scroll to Top