Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Cooking! What Are You Cooking In 2024

(@sk8samurai)
Eminent Member

I've flirted on and off with sourdough culture, but today under this full moon I'm going at it again.

I spent a lot of time in the service industry. I ALWAYS make friends with my chefs. One of my favorite, and who I would consider a 'Sensei Chef' is Hector who went to school n NYC at the CIA (Culinary Institute of the Arts). He was an amazing independent bread maker and pastry chef in NYC but then his wife got an elementary principal ship here in Southern NE , which is where I met him. He taught me how to make "the Blob'. The name of the Blob in the kitchen of Hector is called Bob..
So if you dear readers don't mind, I will share with you how I'm going make my initial culture by using 1/2 white flour and 1/2 wheat later this evening. Please be advised that bakers are scientists when it comes to some things so I will give weights in grams. I do use a giant Bell Jar for this process with cheesecloth over the lid to promote fermentation.

Anybody on board for starting a sourdough culture? Just for the record, this is not that 'Friendship Bread' madness. Sourdough culture people (and true bakers in general) don't f' about when it comes to their methods. But let's see how we go, shall we?

1 Reply
Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
(@elsa)

Prominent Member

@sk8samurai yes! I have flirted with this, but not made a commitment.  There are people around here, baking with their great grandma's starter. There is also a guy,  now a group,  that will snail mail you famous old starter for free!

Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
Topic starter
(@elsa)
Prominent Member
2 Replies
(@warped)

Estimable Member

@elsa 

Ooh, those remind me of a melt-in-your-mouth, old family recipe Christmas cookie, but made with chopped toasted almonds rather than pistachios. Yum!

Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
(@elsa)

Prominent Member

@warped they were great.  I am thinking of making some more so I can bring some to the PA who shoots my SI joint, every three months. She wanted veggies and I meant to deliver, but things happened!

soup
 soup
(@soup)
Honorable Member
2 Replies
Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
(@elsa)

Prominent Member

@soup yum! We finished our cherry cobbler, last night.

We had pesto pasta for dinner tonight. Crazy good. The smell of just picked basil is out of this world!

soup
 soup
(@soup)

Honorable Member

@elsa I love cobbler 😊

CocoPeaches
(@cocopeaches)
Estimable Member

Mother-in-law got us some cheddar-jalapeno sourdough from the farmers market, and I had to get out of the way while my husband was working on a house project, so I decided to make us some italian sandwiches. What I had on hand was: mayo, swiss cheese, salami, tomato, red onion, black olives, romaine, homemade pickled peppers, and some special Spanish ham that had come from D'artagnan as a free gift... I whipped up a quick dressing with olive oil, red wine vinegar, fresh garlic, grated parmesan. I don't make sandwiches very often but this was so good. As soon as my husband was ready for a break, we devoured them. Peppers, lettuce, garlic from the garden. 

I also made dinner for us and my parents. Scallops, sauteed swiss chard, and fettucine alfredo (butter, parmesan, pasta water). I served the pasta with good parm and shaved truffle that I found when harvesting garlic last week. OMG. 

This morning my dad made omelettes with mushrooms and cheese, smashed red skin potatoes, sourdough toast, and fresh peaches. I'm having some Jupiter transits. I am fat and happy!

1 Reply
Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
(@elsa)

Prominent Member

@cocopeaches y'all are eatin' good!

Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
Topic starter
(@elsa)
Prominent Member
6 Replies
Allie
(@allie120)

Reputable Member

@elsa omg I watch him sometimes. I think he did one on an Italian grandmother making meatballs. It was so wholesome! Maybe this is the same woman. ❤️

Allie
(@allie120)

Reputable Member

And that looks soooooo good!

Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
(@elsa)

Prominent Member

@allie120 I've come to a point, I make everything myself. When I taste chemicals in store stuff, I want to spit it out. I don't (cause of Libra), but I want to.

Allie
(@allie120)

Reputable Member

@elsa Oh this is a whole topic that’s fascinating. I make so many things myself. Some of the things I have tasted from my childhood are completely different. I know this can be attributed to many factors: changes in my tastes, developing a more discerning palate (I would think this happens), being unaccustomed to eating that stuff, but the big factor has to be different ingredients.

I stopped eating cereal probably 20 years ago or more. My husband still likes it on days I don’t make his breakfast for work. He was eating Cheerios dry as a snack and they smelled so off. 

Making your own meals has all the benefits: you know what’s exactly in it, you can control the ingredients, it’s cheaper, and what I also loke the the feeling of self reliance but also I can always learn. I can’t make everything but I can try to learn to make a lot 

Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
(@elsa)

Prominent Member

@allie120 If you pull away and try to go back... you really can't.

Allie
(@allie120)

Reputable Member

@elsa I agree. And it’s a good thing.

Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
Topic starter
(@elsa)
Prominent Member

Making peach cobbler today. Hah!

Page 6 / 11