Clear all

Gardening 2024

Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
Topic starter
(@elsa)
Noble Member

Harvesting basil for the last time... also picked my last peppers. Only parsley and Swiss chard remain.

CocoPeaches
(@cocopeaches)
Estimable Member

Earlier this week I attended a lunch with a group of ladies who used to have a garden club here. They are mostly older so the club has dissolved and they don't get together often anymore, but I was really happy to get this opportunity to meet them in the context of gardening. Actually I had already met two of them before, so I stopped by one of their houses yesterday - which was very unique, and I'm going to the other's next week to get an old peony. I don't have any peonies so I'm happy about that, but more excited to see what the lady's gardens looks like!

It was 20d F here two nights ago, and it's supposed to be in the 70s again next week. I had moved some summer crops into my greenhouse to get some extra time, and now the basil and peppers are completely done. I did bring some basil indoors and put them under lights just in the nick of time. The greenhouse only gives me about 10d above the outdoor temperature overnight, and basil is always the first thing to die from cold. Yesterday I went and dug up kale, chard, spinach, and cilantro that I had growing in my plot at the community garden, transplanted them into pots, and put them in my greenhouse. I'm interested to see how much more time I can get out of those.

What was remaining in my garden - kale, carrots, parsley, got totally decimated. I think it was rabbits, but I'm not sure. I am going to add chicken wire around the bottom of my fence next year. 

I haven't planted garlic yet, but I will soon. For seed I have my biggest bulbs from this year's harvest, and I also bought some extra for the community garden. We've never grown garlic there and I would like to add it to the mix. I did transplant  rhubarb, horseradish, and chives there this year, so it will be nice to have more things growing there earlier next spring.

Our growing season has gotten longer, but it still went by so fast for me. Hard to believe it's already over but I am excited for next year. Having a short growing season is limiting in many ways, but I enjoy how there's a distinct beginning and end. It gives me a sense of perpetual motion into the future. I see it as another manifestation of "freedom in commitment" (Elsa's concept), because there's a kind of freedom that comes from the limits. I think this is a Saturn-Jupiter thing. I mean I am free from worrying about what to plant right now because it's not an option for me in this particular time and place! For everything there is a season...

1 Reply
Allie
(@allie120)

Honorable Member

@cocopeaches What a great application of that concept.

Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
Topic starter
(@elsa)
Noble Member
indoor tomatoes

My indoor garden is working out. I have tomatoes, lemon peppers, dill, parsley, basil, lettuce, rosemary and mint.

CocoPeaches
(@cocopeaches)
Estimable Member

The rabbit went into my greenhouse and ate the kale last night. My fault for leaving the door open, but Heavens to Betsy (things old ladies say) come on!

1 Reply
Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
(@elsa)

Noble Member

@cocopeaches ha ha ha.

To the statement, not the loss. 

Page 9 / 9
Scroll to Top