Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Gardening 2024

CocoPeaches
(@cocopeaches)
Trusted Member

I have had good germination too, with my first tray of seeds started indoors. I sowed a variety of hot peppers, celery, and some herbs, shortly after the last new moon. I'm recommitting to try to sow seeds with the lunar cycle. I did not stick to the plan last year, and did not have great results. That could also be due to using  older seeds last year, so I bought all fresh seeds this year.

I also bedded a ton of ginger root, but that has not sprouted yet. According to the biodynamic approach, I should have done that under the full moon, because it's being grown for the root instead of the leaf or the fruit. 

I am meeting with my community garden group this week, and proposing a new drip irrigation system that I designed to replace our old sprinklers.

Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
Topic starter
(@elsa)
Prominent Member

Had errands in town so I picked up some purple cabbage and Swiss chart starts. Popped them in the garden. I think they'll be very happy with their garlic and broccoli friends.

1 Reply
jana
 jana
(@jana)

Estimable Member
Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
Topic starter
(@elsa)
Prominent Member

The nursery closest to me, opens today! I'm going down there!

Last year, gardens didn't do well. This year, I'm in the best shape I've ever been. Just put out some onion sets, which is new for me.  It's exciting!

Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
Topic starter
(@elsa)
Prominent Member

Mortgage Lifter, Carolina Gold (new to me, recommended by an old man, to replace Golden Jubilee - he says it's less "mealy".

Jalopenos, Baron peppers, Roma, Sun sugar and this is my start.

It looks like we should be able to plant early BUT he reminded me there was a killing frost in May last year. Ugh.

Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
Topic starter
(@elsa)
Prominent Member

Today, I'm putting my butter lettuce out. I have more heads than I need, they rooted so easily. 

I'm also super committed this year. I'm already eating from my garden, both outside and from my Aero garden, harvesting romaine lettuce and herbs.

I don't have the Aero garden completely worked out but it's already paid for itself. Granted, I got it on sale.

I mention this because if you live in a colder areas, it can be a great help..

Also, all my little plants are set on a table, inside, when it's cold.  The Aero garden is in the center; the light spreads to all the entire table. My starts have never been healthier.

I would like to set up something indoors with grow lights but mu husband is occupied. As it turns out, this little Aero garden is doing the trick in bigger way than expected.

7 Replies
CocoPeaches
(@cocopeaches)

Trusted Member

@elsa I'm glad you're enjoying your Aerogarden! I've had one for years and I love it. I got an upgrade for Christmas last year - went from a 6pod to a 9pod. Right now I have basil, dill, parsley, cilantro, and swiss chard, all flourishing, and adding fresh flavor to most meals. The larger model has a much taller light than my old one, so it spreads to more potted plants that I have around, including rosemary, and a few African violets.

I found some good off-brand blank pod refills on Amazon that have worked well for using my own seeds, but I have the best results with the Aerogarden brand liquid nutrient stuff. I also buy jugs of distilled water, because my well water is hard and it doesn't work as well unfortunately.

I also have grow lights set up for seed starting in my basement... shelves, timer, heat mats, fan... I'll be starting tomatoes this week. Garlic is up. Things are happening!

Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
(@elsa)

Prominent Member

@cocopeaches which brands are good on Amazon? I was just looking at that. I bought some from temu to try. Worthless. I got a refund.

I also bought off brand liguid nutrient, but haven't tried it yet. I took advice off reddit.  Hope it works!

CocoPeaches
(@cocopeaches)

Trusted Member

@elsa I bought a couple of kits over a year ago from the LYKOCLEAN store on Amazon. I didn't like the seeds or the nutrients that came with it, but the pods were good and I still have some. I will probably buy their bulk amount of pods when I need more.

Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
(@elsa)

Prominent Member

@cocopeaches thank you.  So you're saying, you're successfully starting plants with your own seeds, using this brand of sponges?

CocoPeaches
(@cocopeaches)

Trusted Member

@elsa Yup!

Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
(@elsa)

Prominent Member

@cocopeaches perfect. Thank you!

CocoPeaches
(@cocopeaches)

Trusted Member

@elsa You're welcome!

Sue Ellen
(@sue-ellen)
Trusted Member

I have an aerogarden as a gift from Big Sadge. 
I was disappointed with their fertilize. I didn’t see any micronutrients. I use Miracle Gro water soluble plant food for vegetables and herbs. I mix 1/4 teaspoon in a gallon of water. I use a milk jug because the handle makes it easy to use.

I also have an aquarium syphon hose with hand pump to drain the tank when refreshing the water. The garden is too heavy for me to carry to the sink when full of water.

I’ve started some tomatoes and just added pepper seeds. Looks good.  Here in Kentucky, we’re not to plant outside until 2 weeks after the Kentucky Derby.  That’s mid May for transplanting my plants outside. 

Page 2 / 4
Scroll to Top