Applying The 80/20 Rule To Increase Your Happiness And Satisfaction With… Everything

hapiines.jpgSheesh, I don’t know where these ideas come from but I will give this one to Mercury in Aquarius (quirky) conjunct Jupiter in Capricorn (realistic perspective)…

The 80/20 rule applies to virtually everything in life. This means that when you read this blog you are apt to like either 80% or the posts… or just 20% of the posts. This is just a fact over which I have no control.

So let’s just say you like 80% of the posts because if you like 20% of the posts you are probably already gone. If you like 80% of the posts you ought to be happy because you have found something satisfying. If by some chance you like 85% of the posts then you are extra satisfied but chances are you fall very near the 80/20 range.

So if this is a fact (and it is) you can apply some logic. For example to complain about ONE post I write in a year is utterly ridiculous. Your expectations are not realistic! Mathematics prove you can only expect to be satisfied 80% of the time and this applies to your relationships as well you know so keep the rule in mind…

If you are 80% happy with your partner but you focus on the 20% of the time you are not happy, you will make yourself unhappy 80% of the time!

Isn’t this a marvelous thing to know?

You’re welcome. πŸ˜‰

23 thoughts on “Applying The 80/20 Rule To Increase Your Happiness And Satisfaction With… Everything”

  1. Yup, it isn’t realistic to expect to be 100% satisfied with anything. It’s part of life, and it isn’t anything bad either.

    I wish I had known this (in regards to relationships) like a year ago.

    Live and learn though, I guess.

  2. Woman, you crack me up on a daily basis. I must be part of the crazy group that likes 100% of the posts, b/c I do. So, THANK YOU!! πŸ™‚ (for everything…)

    p.s. on a personal note – I’ve graduated! I’m a pastry chef now. Oh, and I’m also on my way to becoming 100% single. haha!! Can you call ’em, or can you call ’em?? πŸ˜€

    p.p.s. I don’t care what anyone says, I love Pluto.

  3. Satori, one percent setting on fire pretty much guarantees everything else will go up in flames too. I know, I’ve been there. Ugh!

  4. “I wonder if trolls are the ones who like only 20% of the posts but read compulsively anyway…”

    Maybe but it’s probably just the opposite. More likely they like MORE than 80% of the posts but they can’t write a blog like this so they’re pissed.

    Not that they know they are pissed… it’s the dreaded UN-conscious Mars. God help you when you run into one of those.

    Reminds me of dog with rabies. The dog doesn’t know, see? Thinks this shit is normal!

  5. It’s formally called Pareto’s Law
    The law of the vital few and the trivial many.

    In the late 1800s, Vilfredo Pareto, an Italian economist, established that 80% of the land in Italy was owned by 20% of the population. This was the first evidence of a socio-economic law that soon appeared to have universal scope.

    In a job setting 20% of the people do 80% of the work. You KNOW that’s right!

  6. In reference to trolls and unconscious people, the following link is to a dear prudence post where she really shoots a woman down for being unconscious it’s priceless!

  7. In a psychology class I took, a prof mentioned a study where couples recorded all their positive and negative interactions. People had different thresholds for the +ve:-ve ratio, but what researchers found was if the -ve interactions were too LOW, the relationship fizzled out. Too bad the prof didn’t cite the study; I have no way of verifying how robust the study was. Still, an interesting idea. Said prof was also a subscriber to the 80-20 ratio.

  8. yes, that is an utterly marvelous thing to know.

    I like about 95 percent of the posts and the other 5 percent make me want to pull my hair out.

    hee hee hee.

  9. or you can learn to appreciate certain things that bother you… we often resist what we are afraid to acknowledge….

  10. (at least, i do that a lot here. when something goes down the wrong way. it tends to force me to stop and consider where i’m coming from. because i know i value the perspective here… anyway, it’s hard to grow if you’re never challenged)

  11. I was figuring this out last year with my job and then applying what i learned there to other parts of my life. But this is a better way to express it.

  12. That’s ingenious πŸ™‚ You know that 20% is inevitable – with anyone, anywhere, anytime. It’s the irritant that keeps things interesting and prevents us from getting bored. You gotta have some spice. All sugar and no spice is boring!

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

 

Scroll to Top